Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Final Voyage

Original Painting - Acrylic on canvas 16x20



A Tribute to my Dad




Robert Standish Shropshire died early this morning at age 97. I received a call from my sister, just as I finished this painting that my Dad was failing and might pass at any time. My wife and I drove to the hospice care center and made it in time to say our last farewell and were at his side for the end. For me, painting is my one solace, my strength, and my haven when everything is falling apart and my heart is breaking. I started this the day I heard he was being transferred to hospice care.

This painting shows Bark Lake Bob piloting his pontoon boat the LaBob (a combination of my Dad’s name and my Mother’s name Lavon) on an evening cruise. He loved life and being at his cottage and nothing gave him more pleasure than to take family and guests on a boat tour of the lake, especially on the 4th of July to see the fireworks. He also loved me and my paintings and I wish he could have seen this one before he slowly cruised away into the sunset. I loved you Dad, and I miss you already.