Friday, September 19, 2014

First Love

My small travel setup for watercolor
FIRST LOVE
 
They say you never forget your first love. In art, my first love was watercolor. The wet paper, the uncontrolled movement of the pigment, the fresh crisp immediacy of the process, the delicate washes of pure color ...these are the things I loved. But I didn't love the need to mat, frame and protect the art under glass. We gradually grew apart. Eventually I ended my decade long affair with watercolors and Acrylics became my new love.

Now things have come full circle. A worldwide movement called Urban Sketching has reunited us at last. Small studies painted plein air just for the pure joy of it are what watercolor does best. It's easily portable and everything you need fits in a small kit. A field kit such as the Koi model shown here comes with 24 half pans and a slick waterbrush that eliminates the need for a water container. Yes, watercolor and I are back together at last and we make art together everyday! Acrylics are still my True Love, but my first love is back to stay!